Faithful, true and obedient through the years.

Our History

  • Origins

    In 1934, a simple wooden building belonging to the Free Will Baptists sat abandoned on a small lot two
    miles west of Chocowinity on Highway 33. Reverend W. D. McInnis, pastor from the First Presbyterian
    Church in Washington, NC, initiated a survey of the neighborhood and found sufficient interest for them to
    establish a Sunday School there. They got permission from the Baptists for the use of the building. The
    first record of the church was August 7, 1938. They began that afternoon with approximately one hundred
    attendants. In 1943, they purchased the church from the Baptists. The Albemarle Presbytery of the PCUS
    sent Reverend James C. Hines to lead the congregation. Under his leadership, it became Wayside
    Presbyterian Church on September 16, 1945, with eighteen charter members. During the 1940’s and
    1950’s, the church grew in size and service to the area, and many new members were added to the rolls.

  • Founding

    Since its founding, Wayside has been served by several ministers. In February 1971, Pastor Ola Forbes, Jr.
    began a period of service as Pulpit Supply for several years. He was installed as pastor of Wayside
    Presbyterian Church on October 31, 1976, and led the congregation for over 50 years with strong biblical
    preaching and teaching. The congregation was active in the Presbytery and supportive in the beginning of
    Pamlico Presbyterian Church in Oriental, NC.

    On December 15, 1974, the officers of Wayside officially withdrew the congregation from the Albemarle
    Presbytery of the PCUS. Wayside became a member of Presbyterian Church in America (PCA) as part of
    the Carolina Presbytery on January 25, 1975. The church had approximately 62 active members at the
    time, and about 100 were attending each Sunday.

  • Continuing

    In 1976, a decision was made to build a new sanctuary and do some extensive remodeling of the old
    sanctuary to provide additional Sunday School rooms. The building program continued through 1978 with
    the new sanctuary being completed and the new pews arriving just in time for the Christmas services that
    year. On December 24, 1978, the first morning service was held in the new sanctuary, followed by the 9:00
    pm Christmas Eve Candlelight Service. The services were beautiful indeed. Dedication services were held
    at Wayside Presbyterian Church (PCA), in Chocowinity, NC, on April 29,1979.

The Present

  • Today

    Going about the mission of the church without a shepherd over the past two years is what Wayside has been calling. Truly faithful is He who has blessed our congregation during this transition period through the leadership of our Session, excellent Bible exposition of the supply pastors and the renewed spirit of the congregation through outreach and fellowship. Our music has expanded, members have been added and visitors are frequent. Through the work of our pulpit search committee the church has offered a call to Rev Jan Dykshoorn and his wife Patti. It’s an exciting time.